In a world without railroads, navigable waterways were dominated transportation. In northwestern Georgia, the Chattahoochee River was one of the prime highways for merchants to transport their wares to markets abroad. In 1828 the Georgia legislature established Columbus at the first navigable point of the Chattahoochee River with a mind to maximize their ability to distribute area produce. It’s first mayor, John Fontaine, had already established profitable business in the vicinity. In 1830, he decided to build a home that reflected his success. In 1830 the Greek Revival style was all the rage. It reflected the aspirations of the young democracy toward the Greek ideal. Six mighty columns graced the facade whilst inside a sweeping stair & numerous tasteful appointments greeted visitors.
John Fontaine’s descendants occupied for several decades until the area became too industrialized to be fashionable. The Elks then took residence and remained in the Fontaine House until the middle of the twentieth century. Sadly, a parking lot now occupies the site of this remarkable home.
Best bits? That fireplace! Also, all those wonderful rosettes!
Enjoy this post? Please consider donating here to the institution that made it possible!